Ever since I saw an amazing lineup of microfiber mitt creatures over at Dollar store Crafts I’ve been jonesing to create a fun little creature of my own. You see I have this “thing” for monsters and aliens which seems a little childish but I just can’t help it. I mean how cool is it that you can take just a few things from the dollar store and then BLAM you have a cute monster to prop open your door? A perfect addition to your Halloween decor or if you are a freak like me you’ll have this guy hanging around all year ;)
Food container with lid. It should be just about the size of your mitt.
Rocks or sand. Found in the crafts section or decor section.
Ping pong balls
Permanent marker. I used Bic fine tip black.
Hot Glue and hot glue gun
Plastic bag (the one time you’ll actually want to leave the reusable bag at home)
How To (The basics)
1) Snip two holes at the top of the mitt and insert your pipe cleaner antenna
2) Cut elastic band away from mitt
3) Hot glue elastic to bottom of plastic container
4) Stuff plastic bag at the top of the mitt
5) Fill container with rocks or sand and close tightly (using glue if it seems it’s going to pop off)
6) Stretch mitt over the container stopping where the mitt slightly overlaps the elastic and the plastic filled head seems full. Glue in place.
7) Use permanent markers on ping pong balls to make eyeballs.
8) Hot glue ping pong balls to monster
You may not need to cut off elastic or if you do you may not need to glue it to the container. Pick a container that looks around the same size and shape of the mitt. If you are not afraid of a needle and thread you could alternatively just fill up the mitt with rocks and sew it shut. Your monster will slouch a bit more without the rigidness of the food container but a frumpy monster could be cute too! Buttons would be a really fun addition to this little guy in place of his bulging ping pong ball eyes.
Here I am blobbing (blog blabbing) about my love for monsters and I almost forgot to mention that this is my official entry for the He Vs. She Doorstop Challenge. Although Cliff’s door stop is interesting, I will still plea for your vote on my monster door stop. So If you like it please please please with sugar on top leave a comment. To be fair make sure you check out Cliff’s Jack Daniels Bottle Doorstop entry before you vote.
Posts That You Want To Read?
- All Posts
- BIG CRAFTS
- Birthday Projects
- Christmas Projects
- Craft Wars
- Currie Kitsch
- DIY Apps
- Dollar Store Projects
- Easter Crafts
- Flashback Friday
- Gifts for him
- Gluten Free Recipes
- Halloween Projects
- Hand MAKE My Home
- He Made
- He vs. She Challenges
- Makers Monthly Roundup
- Paint Chip Crafts
- Saint Patrick's Day Crafts
- She Made
- The Paint Chip Pals
- Valentine's Day
Our Recent Pinterests