It’s official, the theme queen (Andrea) has just announced that the 2011 Currie holiday theme is……”DIY Holiday.” Now I can finally take a deep breath and say “Hallelujah” because she picked a theme that I can actually relate to! I think she realized that if she wanted to get my full participation this year she had to ditch the fluffy stuff and include more power tools. She knows me so well ;) I was so inspired by the theme that I jumped right into creating our first Fall DIY decorative craft which I call the Giant Paint Chip Door Sign. For those of you wondering about the glitter…. That was all Andrea. Great alternative to a traditional wreath huh?
We tried our hardest to model our giant paint chip after the Behr 4 color paint chips. Doing so was quite easy because Home Depot has those mini sample bottles that they’ll mix up for you in a jiffy. At $3.69 a pop these paint samples are a great value because we’ll be using them in most of our Fall projects.
We might even save some to make more of these neat door signs for our friends and family! Here’s some more beauty shots.
Here’s what we used.
- 16″x 12″ scrap wood half inch thick. A great alternative to would would be a canvas.
- Behr paint chip sample (free)
- Behr mini samples colors based off of the paint sample you chose. Home Depot mixed these up for us in about 10 minutes. We chose outdoor medium since our sign would be on the outside of our door.
- White outdoor paint/primer
- Painters tape 1/2 inch thick
- Paint brushes for painting
- Old paint brush for hanging embellishment
- String or ribbon
- Wood letters or chipboard letters
- Gold glitter
- Mod Podge
- String, ribbon or thin rope. We braided hemp.
- Hot glue gun and hot glue for the letters and the paint brush.
- Dark Sharpie for the color names.
- 2 eyelet screws.
If you have any questions about the process of making the giant paint chip sign don’t hesitate to ask in the comments section.
The neighbors are already ohh and ahhing over it and it’s only been up for 8 hours! We’ll definitely be going back to get some Christmas themed paint samples very soon.