Last year on Craft-Tastic LIVE I demo’d how to create flowers from cupcake liners which I used in my Birthday centerpieces. I really loved how they looked like a ball of carnations but after flashing back and watching how I first made these cupcake flowers I realized that it can be done in a much easier way. Luckily my new technique uses less materials and zero hot glue! It’s so simple and the perfect party craft since they are economical (dollar store), not time consuming and can be customized to your liking.
What you’ll need
- Different colors and sizes of cupcake liners. The sky is the limit here. If you want to use the ink pad technique you should buy plain paper liners in lighter colors. Glossy or foil liners won’t work with ink pads.
- Medium or large sized safety pins
- Green pipe cleaners
- Ink pads in various colors. Alcohol based seemed to dry the fastest but can get hands a wee bit messy.
- Spray glitter (just note drying times)
- Go crazy!
- Decorate at least 4 cupcake liners by running each along ink pad or spraying with glitter mist on both sides.
- Stack cupcake liners and flatten with your hands.
- Lay green pipe cleaner along the bottom and staple to liners in the middle
- Fold pipe cleaner in half and wrap one side of pipe cleaner around safety pin. Wrap other pipe cleaner half around and twist a little leaf.
- Fluff your liners to create flower shape.
- Add more flowers for a fuller look.
- Make sure everything is dry before you pin on.
Easy peasy right? If you want to see my very first attempt at these flowers OR just want to have a giggle, check out my video below. Yes it’s out of sync and yes I say it’s a couch craft which apparently isn’t a common place to craft….